About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Saturday, February 19, 2011

Busy week

On Tuesday, February 15, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Cloudy-Mild. Pay Day. Arose at 6:00. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Read "Literary Digest". Left home 7:45. Mary went up town at 4 p.m. I got check cashed at noon and 47th note on house. Baby Jane helped me put screw in Drawing board and mount it after supper. I studied from 9 to 10:30. Someone called on phone at 10:40. On Wednesday, February 16, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Sunny-Pleasant. Arose at 6:00. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Shaved. Left home at 7:42. Walked around at noon. Paid bills. We went to Calvary Baptist Church at 7:00 p.m. Met Loam. Dr. Powell preached an interesting sermon. We got out about 9:15. Reached home at 9:50. Went to bed about 10:45. Warm tonight. On Thursday, February 17, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Sunny-Pleasant. Mr. Turner away, a.m. Arose at 6:00. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Read paper. Addressed envelopes for Mrs. Drewry. Left home at 7:42. Walked at noon. We all attended PTA meeting at 8 p.m. (Refreshments) Good session. Junior Spillan broke Norman's watch crystal. Got home at 10:40, tired and worn out. We went to bed about 12:00. On Friday, February 18, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Sunny-Fine. Arose at 6:00. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Left home 7:45.Lot of work today. Deposited $10.27 for P.T. Assn. Wrote a lot of mail today. Mary Burnette's baby born about 9:00 p.m. Mary was there. Pauline and Walter came over to our house. My head aches. Read a great deal. Went to bed about 11:00. Driving rain flooded our basement. On Saturday, February 19, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Sleet-Rain P.M. Arose at 6:00. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. I feel very tired today; side hurts. Marketed, got home at 2:00. Baled rain water from basement from 3:00 to 6:00 p.m. Sleet is falling. Very disagreeable outdoors. I cut Annah Lee's hair after supper. Took a bath at 10:30. Went to bed about 11 o'clock. Still sleeting. There were a couple of things in these diary entries that caught my attention. First off was that the Elmore's went to church on a Wednesday night, which I can't remember them doing before in 1916 or so far in 1927. Then, they went to Calvary Baptist which they don't normally do, I don't think. In 2011, I happen to know the pastor at Calvary Baptist and am pretty good friends with her, Donna Hopkins Britt. I wonder what made the sermon so interesting? Also, it seemed long at over 2 hours, especially for a Wednesday night. It sounds like the Elmore's were having a week like we have in 2011 all the time, with something to do almost every night, whether it's church, PTA, sports, friends, kids, etc. And it sounds like Bonnie was feeling the effects. I also know that feeling of having a flooded basement, but thankfully, don't think I have ever had to bail water for 3 hours on a Saturday, that would stink. Here in 2011 the weather is warm and breezy but pleasant. I hope we don't have any more sleet but still wouldn't mind some more snow, though that is looking a lot less likely. We even really just need some rain as things are VERY dry and there have been many small brush fires. Beth is away doing our "marketing" now. It took me a little bit to figure out what Bonnie was meaning in that entry, but then I got it. The rest of the family in 2011 is watching English soccer and NASCAR racing after having spent the morning doing house cleaning, school work, laundry, and sermon prep.

No comments:

Post a Comment