About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Thursday, November 18, 2010

SNOW!

On Wednesday, November 15, 1916 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Snow-Cold. Arose at 7:20. Made a fire. Go to see "Friday the 13th" tonight. First snow of the winter today. Mr. Schick left on #15 for Tazewell. I wore overcoat first time this year. Read my book. Wrote letters for Mr. Wiltsee. Awfully cold. Played with Norman at night. Went to "American" to see "Friday the 13th". Talked to Howard Fisher. Home 10:30. On Thursday, November 16, 1916 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Cold-Clear. Arose 7:20. Got to work 8:30. Mr. Raitt came in at 10 o'clock. I wrote specifications for Mr. Wiltsee. Papa came to the office twice and stayed an hour. I drew $6 from bank for him. Mr. Wiltsee and Mr. Raitt dictated mail to me this afternoon. Mary took Norman up to her mother's before supper. I read paper at night. On Friday, November 17, 1916 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Frost-cold. Arose at 7:20 a.m. Got cigars from Sam. Stopped by and talked to Mrs. Raines. Got to work 8:50. Wrote a letter for Mr. Wiltsee about specifications to JEC. Read my book in afternoon. Submarine "Deutachland" rammed and sunk the convoying tug "T.A. Scott Jr." We stopped at Mrs. Raines at supper time. Wrote to Jack W. Kerrigan. On Saturday, November 18, 1916 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Cold-Clear. Arose at 7:20. Made a fire. Met Mr. Schick on the street. Bought "American" magazine at Joe's Got to work at 8:30. Got and put on heavy underwear. Lester Steffey played Victrola at office and drove me out in his car. We put the car in garage for repairs. I shaved and took bath. Finished reading my book "w. of B.W." book. Ok, lots of stuff to comment on, even though I am very tired tonight. I was on TV early yesterday morning, for fire safety segment and traveled to Richmond and back today for a "Religious Herald" trustee meeting. Back to Bonnie's diary. Now we know that "Friday the 13th" was a movie being shown at the "American theater here in Roanoke. I looked up the movie and found that it was not a horror movie like we had been accustomed to in the late 20th Century. It was a drama and was based on a novel, which is probably why Bonnie was interested. He probably read the book. The second surprise was the early season snow fall!! Wow! Too bad, no snow today in Roanoke. We also read again about the "Deutschland" submarine that we researched earlier in a post and found that the merchant sub did later become a military submarine used in WW I. Sounds like Bonnie and Mrs. Raines worked things out after their fuss. I guess with he snow, and cold, it was time for the heavy underwear. How about the mention of the Victrola and the car? That's pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment