About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Sunday, November 14, 2010

Had a little fuss

On Sunday, November 12, 1916 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Warm-Rain. Arose at 8:00 a.m. Made a fire. Shaved. Aunt Annah went to church on the car. I rolled Norman up to Mrs. Raines ate dinner and stayed until 6 p.m. We came home on the car. Mary and Aunt Annah made tea cakes and took a "nap". I read the Bible and my book "The Winning of Barbara Worth" We retired at 10:00 p.m. On Monday, November 13, 1916 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Warm-Clear. Arose at 7:20. Made a fire. Went to Mrs. Raines. Talked to Mrs. Toombs. Wrote a letter to Geo. Dungliason Jr. and went to station to put it on train No. 7. Mr. Raitt left on No. 15 for Tazewell, Va. Mary and Aunt Annah went up to Mrs. Raines. Mr. Schick and I walked down St. together. I talked to Papa at 2 p.m. Cloudy day. On Tuesday, November 14, 1916 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Damp-Chilly. Arose at 7:30. Mary made a fire. Mrs. Raines came down. I wrote to Effie for "Friday the 13th". Got a card from Roy Miller and wrote him a letter. Aunt Annah and Mrs. Raines spent the day with Mrs. Grace Hurst. Rained today-cold. Went to see Capt. Rowan and stayed until 5:30. Had a fuss with Mrs. Raines. I guess we are all human and when you spend as much times with some people as Bonnie and Mary seem to spend with Mrs. Raines, it is inevitable that someone is not going to get along every once in a while. I still found it amusing that Bonnie wrote about his fuss with Mrs. Raines, his mother in law. I wonder what it was about? Also, one advantage I have is that I can take a little peek as to what is ahead. The "Friday the 13th" reference will become a little more clear tomorrow and there is some more excitement as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment