About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Saturday, March 20, 2010

Haircuts All Around

On Friday, March 17, 1916 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Cold-Windy. Arose 6:45 a.m. Made fire. Got to work at 8:40. Staples back again. Correspondence very light. Caught cold from water in cellar. Rec'd reply from my letter to Mr. H. G. Battle Jr. Wrote up G. & Co. bill on Leckie Spur. Met Papa and Skin at noon. Ms. Spillman called on phone and came down. Mrs. Raines & Skin were down. Retired at 10:30 p.m. On Saturday, March 18, 1916 Bonnie wrote: Cold-Cloudy. Arose at 7 a.m. Made fire. Norman sick. Got to work at 8:45 a.m. Mrs. Ida Mabry died at Jacksonville, Fla. I rode up town with Skin to get haircut. Skin took groceries home. Mary went with Mavis Brown to have hair cut. Harry brought Norman's milk down. Jack Allen shot and killed at Mt. Airy, N.C. On Sunday, March 19, 1916 Bonnie wrote: Cold-Sunny. Arose 8 a.m. Made fire. Oysters for breakfast. Minnie Maggam called on phone. I read until 2:30 p.m. Went to Mrs. Raines, Office, and home. Ate supper at Momma's. Read Washington Post. Walked to town with Skin and he gave me 5 cents for car fare. Read Bible and American Magazine and retired at 11 p.m. On Monday, March 20, 1916 Bonnie wrote: Sunshine-cool. Rain at night. Arose at 7:30. Made a fire. Got to work at quarter of nine. Gertie Seymour called on phone for Mrs. Raines inviting us to spend day. Ate dinner at Mrs. Raines. Mr. Schick left on #3 for Algoma. Annie Raines ate at J.R.R.'s noon. Read paper and stayed in at night. Retired at 10:15 p.m. It's Saturday here in 2010 and all my family is asleep after staying up all night at a youth church lock in, so that means I can get caught up on some blogging, do my Bible reading and work on my sermon while doing laundry. I have to work for a little while later this afternoon and have a gospel concert to attend tonight in Buchanan. I thought Bonnie's entries the past few days were good. He caught a cold from being cold and wet the other day in the cellar. That was still kind of a funny story. He and Mary both went and got haircuts with friends the other day. I went and got a haircut the other day too, by my self at the new Great Clips close to our house. I am not sure who the people are that Bonnie makes mention of who died in Florida and Mt. Airy, N.C. These may have been people he knew or something he read about in the paper. Sundays are special days, thus the oysters for breakfast. I guess also because it was Sunday, Bonnie decided to read from the Bible. He says he read the Bible and American Magazine. That's a good way to start a sermon actually! I also have no idea where Algoma is that Mr. Schick is on his way to. I think Bonnie maybe still isn't feeling too well from the cold, as he retired kind of early and he repeated a line in his diary about Mr. Schick leaving on the #3. Part of my Bible reading yesterday was from Luke 3 where the genealogy of Jesus is given and when it was being read, I thought "How tedious" and just kind of blew it off. Then I listened to the devotional that Brian Hardin gave after the reading and he predicted that we may be having that attitude. He pointed out that each name represented a person with a story and was not just a place holder and all those stories weave together into God's plan. Some of the stories we read about in other places in the Bible, like the story of David, some others the stories aren't mentioned in the Bible, but there are stories there none the less. Man, how could I have missed that! I write a blog called Family, Faith and Fire Safety that is basically built on the same premise. That these family stories are interesting, even the seemingly mundane things, because they paint a picture of God's work in our lives and they tell a story. Wow. Ok. Got it. How about our own stories? What kind of picture do they paint of God's working in our lives? Something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment