About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Friday, March 26, 2010

100th Blog Post!

On Saturday, March 25,1916 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Cool-Lonely. Arose at 7:30. Made a fire. Got to work at 8:45 a.m. Wrote memo for Mr. Wiltsee on "Steamer Warehouses" Norfolk. Willard-Moran fight in New York. Cleaned debris from under steps. Rolled Norman to J&J for films. Stayed in at night. Jess Willard beat Frank Moran. Retired at 10 p.m. after taking a bath. On Sunday, March 26, 1916 Bonnie wrote: Raining. Arose at 8 o'clock. "Washington Post" today. Aunt Annah went Methodist Church. I shaved and read. Ate dinner with Raines family. Went up to Mama's for supper. Took key and Mary phoned for me to come home. Mama gave me 5 cents for carfare. Read last installment of "The Fall of a Nation" at night. Retired at 10:30 p.m. Today is the 100th blog post here! Yay! I am not sure why Bonnie wrote "Lonely" in with the weather description today. In act, there are several things I am not sure of today. Why did Bonnie go to work on Saturday? What are the "films" that Bonnie and Norman got at J&J? I am sure that they were not rental DVD's to watch at home. That technology had not been invented yet, not even close. I looked up the Jess Willard and Frank Moran fight and what I found says that the fight ended in a draw and that it was possibly later discovered that the fight was fixed. Possibly Bonnie heard about the winner through the "grapevine" and you know how that goes. Or was listening on the radio and just misunderstood. Maybe Bonnie will correct that in a later entry. He has done that before with election results. I think I remember hearing that it was not uncommon for Mary to have to phone and get Bonnie to come home from various places. He just enjoyed being out and enjoyed other people's company I think. That's all for tonight folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment