About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Thursday, November 26, 2009

Kids, kids, kids

On Sunday, November 26, 1916 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Cold, Clear. Arose at 8 a.m. Mrs. Raines came down. Also Ethel Wade. Dr. Burks came down to see Mary at 1 p.m. I went by the office. Saw Jess. Got prescription filled and went over home for supper. I rolled Norman up to Mrs. Raines. Papa ate supper at Doris's and went to church. Jake gave me striped tie. Mrs. Raines came down at night. Mama gave me bottle of "bitters". Ok, after visiting with my mother today I have figured out a few other things. Bonnie is about 25 when he is writing this. His oldest son is Norman who is 21 months, his next oldest child is my grandmother, Annah Lee, who is 11 months old at this writing and Mary is pregnant again with "Baby Jane" who is born in February of 1917. It is hard for me to picture Gran-daddy as a 25 year old, as when I knew him he was already rather old. Apparently, Mary may not feel well, or is just getting a check up from the Doctor (tomorrow she also makes a visit to the hospital) and also I think Bonnie is still not feeling well, hence the bottle of "bitters". Today, in 2009 it is Thanksgiving. In 1916, Thanksgiving did not happen until November 30. Apparently in 1916 Thanksgiving was on the last Thursday instead of the 4th Thursday as today. We will just have to wait to see what Bonnie, Mary, Norman, and Annah Lee did on Thanksgiving in 1916. We have enjoyed a wonderful meal today of Roasted Turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, dressing, green beans, carrots, rolls, cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie for dessert. We are getting ready to take a walk. We are awaiting Amy, Paul, Autumn and Drew's arrival for left overs and then we will get down from the attic Mom's Christmas decorations before we leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment