About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Thursday, November 26, 2009

Books and Movies

I didn't post yesterday as I just ran out of time, so I will try and post 2 diary entries today to stay on schedule with Bonnie. On November 25, 1916 a Saturday, Bonnie Elmore wrote: Cold, Clear. Arose at 7:30. Made a fire. Got to office at 8:50. After puzzling and worrying about "When a Man's a Man", Mr. Raitt brought it down. I loaned the same book to Mr. Eiffert in Valuation Dept. Made up payrolls. Cut wood after dinner. Mrs. Miure came down at 2:30. I went to St. Chas. Hospital. Also Mr. Raitts went to "American". Alright, there were a couple of puzzling things about today's entry and after some research I have figured one out and one is still a mystery. Interesting that Grand-daddy went to the office on Saturday. The first mystery really had to do with his handwriting. I had a hard time making out the title of the book that he was worried about, but again with Google help I was able to figure that out. Apparently the men of the area had quite the book exchange going. Again, no TV so entertainment after work was reading, movies, visiting, etc. I have noted that the 2 books Bonnie mentions both have had to do with being out west. The western part of the US must have still been somewhat of a mystery and a dream and something to fantasize and write about. Now for the second mystery that remains unsolved. Bonnie says he went to St. Chas. Hospital. I am not aware of any hospital in Roanoke by that name and while he did travel by train a good bit, tomorrow's entry has him back in Roanoke. So, I don't think he would have gone to Missouri and back in the same day. He could have been referring to a movie because in the next line hem mentions that "Also Mr. Raitts went to the 'American'", which was a grand old theater here in Roanoke that has long since been demolished. I may seek some help on these kind of mysteries from either Roger, who is Bonnie's son or from Nelson Harris, a Baptist minister and noted Roanoke historian. Today is Thanksgiving. We are at Mom's house today. Very thankful that she was able to get her heart artery cleared up with a stent! Another post maybe later today.

No comments:

Post a Comment