About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Police Chase Mad Dog

On Friday, June 4, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Cloudy. Headache. Jess came home with me at noon. Mr. Raines came back from Huntington, W.Va. Letter from Teeny.  Mama sent papers. Wrote estimates. Howard Fisher quit work and came down. Took Sadie to show. "American". Came back home.

On Saturday, June 5, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Cloudy. Saw Policemen hunting mad dog. Mary and Sadie went up street to sale at 5 and 10 cent store. Saw Bill Fisher. At night Mary and I exchanged Norman's shoes. Went to the "American". Met. Mrs. Patterson. Shaved and Took a bath.

On Sunday, June 6, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Pretty Day. Papa came in sick and ate breakfast with us. Harry Raines drove Sadie and I out to Cave Spring.  Ben English came back to Roanoke. Jess came down in afternoon. Answered letter from J.O. Ronk

On Monday, June 7, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Pretty Day. Bought Safety Razor for Skin. Also one film. Ben English went back home. Slight electric storm at 8:30 p.m. Bought two ice cream cones. Shaved. Very warm night. 

On Tuesday, June 8, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Pretty Day. Mr. Schick and Mr. Raitt went away. I wrote to Skin and made up estimates and extra bills.  Ate dinner at Mrs. Raines'. Talked to Papa and Everett St. Clair. Went to pageant in Elmwood Park at 8 p.m. Papa ate supper.

Here in 2012 I got a little behind because we were out of town this past weekend for a mini-vacation and so I didn't write in the blog. I will try and write a few extra night this week so as to get caught up and also so that possibly I will not need to write on Sunday when it's Father's Day. Some of the things Bonnie writes about, I sure wish I could have seen.  I guess that's part of why reading his diary and sharing it is so much fun.  For instance, I would have loved to have seen 1915 Roanoke police officers chasing a mad dog.  I also would have loved to have seen what Cave Spring looked like in 1915 versus what it looks like today.  I wonder what kind of pageant they had in Elmwood Park?  

No comments:

Post a Comment