About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Sunday, May 6, 2012

Hershey's Chocolate

On Friday, April 30, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Hot and Pretty. Mr. Schick came in. Took pictures of the baby. Talked Stewart Britts. Wrote a letter to Denny Lawler. Sent papers to Christine. Pay-day. Paid some bills. Washed my hair at night.

End of month note for April 1915: Frank Lakes' Uncle "Jack" died March 30th.  Mary and I went to "American" Theater March 31st. Enjoyed Chas. Chaplin in a prize fight. Prof. N.P. Painter died at Johns Hopkins, Baltimore with cancer of stomach March 31st 1915.

On Saturday, May 1, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Pretty Day. Paid Bills. Sent Momma $5.00. Went to Bank. Mary and I went to "American" Theater at night to see "The New Governor". Bought and wore my new tan slippers.

On Sunday, May 2, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Pretty Day. Arose 11:30 a.m. Took a bath. Went to see fire and Jack Bowdell's baby. Met Mrs. Bowdell. Mrs Hayden and Jones Gardner were there. Mary and I ate supper with her father and mother. Went to church. 1st Presbyterian. Bought some Hirshey chocolate. Retired at 11:30.

On Monday, May 3, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Damp and cool. First Thunder and Lightning storm of summer occurred at 5 a.m. Bought 2 locks for Mr. Raines for 40 cents for Mrs. Wigmore. Got pictures of the baby from studio. Mr. J.E. Crawford's father visiting office. Mr. Schick went out on line. Shaved.

On Tuesday, May 4, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Cloudy and damp. Slight thunderstorm in a.m. Had rubber heels put on my new slippers. Went to Courthouse. Met Mary at Heironimous'. Wrote to Skin. Bought new bottle of olive oil.

On Wednesday, May 5, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Cool. Mr. Rich in the office. Mr. Schick went to Philadelphia and Washington. Filled out Fax list down at Mrs Raines'.  Shaved. People's Outfitting Co. wrote me a letter about my account.

On Thursday, May 6, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Cool day. Went out to Mrs. Raitt's house after glasses. Mr. Raines came up home and partly repaired the screen door. I took a bath. Paid taxes on property.

I don't have a lot of time tonight to make many comments, except to say that I still love it when Bonnie mentions brands and stores that were in Roanoke for so long.  Some are gone now and some are still around.  Today, Heironimous, was mentioned which is no longer around but was here for so long that I have fond memories of that store too! Also, neat to hear of some of the movies from 1915 with Charlie Chaplin in them!

No comments:

Post a Comment