About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Sunday, March 25, 2012

Circumcision

On Friday, March 19, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Pretty and Keen air. Stayed at home in a.m. Worked in afternoon. Skin promised to come by the office after me in John Mason's car but failed so to do.

On Saturday, March 20, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Cloudy. Brought Harry Talley home with me. Talked to Bill Fisher. Mary and I went to town for first time since baby was born. Mrs. Raines kept Norman.

On Sunday, March 21, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Clear and Cold. Arose at 12 a.m. Shaved and went up home. Hester Long was there, gave me a book to read. Mailed a letter to Aunt Osie for Mamma.

On Monday, March 22, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Snow and rain. Wrote up payrolls. Dr. Burks came in to see the baby. Skin came down and drove me up home and over southwest in car.

On Tuesday, March 23, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Cloudy-damp. Baby is 6 weeks old today. Shaved. R.W. Early was in the office. Talked to Russell West. Messrs. Wm. D. Ord and Wm. N. Cummins were in the office all day. Wrote Blaine a letter.

On Wednesday, March 24, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Cold and Cloudy. Skin came by home after me at 8 o'clock a.m. in the car. Took pictures of the baby and had same developed. Read March "Ladies Home Journal".

On Thursday, March 25, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Fine Day. Messrs. Valz and Nugent were in the office. Mr. Schick left for trip over line. Dr. Burk circumcized the baby. Mrs. Brown held him. Mary, Mrs. Raines, Mrs. Privett and I were present. Rode up street with the doctor.  Harry and and Mrs. Raines came up at night to see the baby.  Shaved.

I think on Sunday when Bonnie wrote that he got up at 12 a.m. he meant he got up at noon.  I am so glad that he and Mary got to go to town for an evening!  I still think its funny that he reads Ladies Home Journal, but impressive that that LHJ has been around for that long!  Wow, big doings for the circumcision....that's just all I'll say about that. Here in 2012, Big storms in the area yesterday.  Good Sunday morning so far.  I got up early and was able to have devotions, drink coffee and eat oatmeal before going to church, plus write this blog! 

No comments:

Post a Comment