About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Saturday, April 23, 2011

Mary Examined

On Wednesday, April 20, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Hot-Sunny. Arose at 6:00. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Shaved. Left home about 7:55. Got pair white silk stockings at Pugh's (noon) for Annah Lee. Left them at Stewart's Dye wks. for her. I cleaned downstairs lights after supper. Worked on them from 8:30 to 9:30. Went to bed about 11:00 p.m. Warm at night.

On Thursday, April 21, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Hot-Rain.  Arose at 6:00. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Left home 7:45. Had lot of work today. Got package from Walter Corte 2:00 p.m. Took note to Dr. Hagan at 1:45. Mary went to Mrs. Gray's sewing circle meet at 3 p.m. I called her on phone at 4:00. Heavy Rain at 3:00. Raining at night. Lightning.

On Friday, April 22, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Chilly-cloudy. Mary was "examined". Arose at 6:00. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Left home at 7:45. Mary went to Dr. Hagan's office today at 12 o'clock noon and was examined. I got home at 5:45. Mary went with Baby Jane and Annah Lee to a play at Lee Junior High school tonight. I stayed at home. Weather is real cold. We got to bed 11:00.

On Saturday, April 23, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Cold-Cloudy. Arose at 6:30. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Shaved. Left home 7:45. Took Mr. Wiltsee's dictation. Left office at 1:30. Mary went with Annah Lee to recital. Baby Jane went to picture show with Pauline. I cut wood and white washed the basement wall. Feel awfully despondent today. Mary feels sick.

Here in 2011, very nice Saturday before Easter.  Headed down to Mom's tonight for supper along with Amy and family.  I don't know, I'm just guessing, but I think maybe Mary is pregnant.  The year, 1927, is the year of Roger's birth and I am guessing with her feeling sick and being "examined" that is what is going on.  Maybe there will be an announcement soon in the diary.

No comments:

Post a Comment