About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Sunday, July 4, 2010

Early Riser

On Saturday, July 1, 1916 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Very hot day. Arose at 7:30. Sam Mason drove me up town in his car. Norman continues ill. I paid some bills. Cut some grass. Skin phoned me. Loam and Jake went to Clifton Forge today. Howard Fisher came to the house and cut grass for me. I shaved and we went up town and I paid some bills. We went to "American" theater. Stayed home at night. On Sunday, July 2, 1916 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Very hot day. Arose at 7:20. Rolled Norman around. Took bath at Mrs. Raines. Dr. Davis came to examine Norman. Very hot. Bill Fisher phoned. Didn't go home. Read Washington Post and Phila. Press at Raines'. Started home and rain caught us at corner Dale Avenue and we came back to Mrs. R's. Ate supper Mrs. R's. On Monday, July 3, 1916 Bonnie wrote: Very hot day. Arose at 7:25. Norman better. Blair Pitzer drove me to his office in buggy to pay $2.50 - moving. Talked to Howard Fisher and Papa. Dr. Davis called to see Norman. Roanoke Gas Light man came to estimate on moving gas stove. I shaved at night. Went to American at night. Got candy and cigars at Joe's. Came home on car at 10:30 p.m. On Tuesday, July 4, 1916 Bonnie wrote: Pleasant cool. Note from Mexico received. Arose at 5:20. Cut and raked grass. Went with Mrs. R, Mrs. Annie R, and Aunt Annah to see parade. Minnie Sullivan in it. Ate chicken and ice cream at Mrs. Raines for diner and supper. Went over home at 4:30 p.m. Skin drove me to Mrs. R's in automobile. Mr. Raines cut Norman's hair. Governor Stuart in the parade with his staff.

No comments:

Post a Comment