About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Cherry Harvest!

On Thursday, June 15, 1916 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Raining. Sent Norman's pictures to Leslies and Loam. Arose at 7:20. Helped Mr. Woodson fix Davenfold and pain him quarter. Mr. Raines came down at night and fixed pantry door and put up center table. He gave Norman 10 cents for his bank. Rained all day. We have been having cherry pies for two days. Filed and indexed mail and copied descriptions. Retired at 10:30. On Friday, June 16, 1916 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Damp-Cloudy. Arose at 7:15. Mr. Schick came back from Phila. feeling ill. Walked to work with Cromer Kinsey. Picked cherries. Put strips on screen door to back porch. Mrs. Raines came down after supper and stayed until 9 o"clock. Very dark night. Retired at 10:15. Mary feeling badly. Bonnie has still been busy with home repair chores, or at least getting someone else to do them, which is how I operate too. Wow, I would really like to have some fresh cherry pie. I bet Mary and Mrs. Raines made some good cherry pie and sounds like maybe they could have used some help getting rid of the cherries. Yesterday, June 15, was our 19th wedding anniversary. We went out to eat at Abuelo's and then just enjoyed the kids being at Grandma's. Gulf oil spill still going on. President Obama met with BP officials today and addressed the nation last night. World Cup soccer still going on Spain and South Africa lost today. USA plays again on Friday. I plan to take the day off and watch the game and do yard work. Read today from 1 Kings 17 about Elijah and the widow. Again another example of how following God, through Jesus and the Holy Spirit is often counter-intuitive. We have to learn to lean not on our own understanding but to follow in obedience the voice of God through the Holy Spirit. I think a davenfold is like a couch. When I did a Google search for davenfold, I actually came up witht his blog, as I have mentioned it before in here. That's cool I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment