About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Monday, May 10, 2010

Bum Bonnie

On Wednesday, May 10, 1916 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Cool-Sunshine. Arose at 7 o'clock. Got to work at 8:20 a.m. Work dull in office. Got a letter from Dr. Payne and Aunt Annah. Rolled Norman down home and watered the flowers. Mrs. Raines came home from trip to Lynchburg, VA. I felt bum at night. Retired at 10 p.m. Little Poff boy is sick today. Completed statement for Burke. I just haven't felt too much like commenting here recently. I have not been too inspired I guess, though I do still love reading Grand-daddy's entries and passing them along for others as a glimpse into what life was like in the past. I do like seeing that Bonnie started going back to the theater again. I know he loved to do that and read. I think home ownership has maybe taken away some time from Bonnie as he writes more now about flowers, grass, sidewalks, leaks, etc. I fully understand how home ownership can do that. I also especially like how Bonnie seems to be so involved in his community. He makes notes when he meets new people. He writes about births, deaths, illnesses, parades, travels and of course culture like the movies and books. This leads me to more of a "faith" post today. God has spoken to me recently, through a guy by the name of Reggie McNeal, about the missional church movement. This movement basically says that churches should be doing more for our communities, more for "the least of these", and less programming for ourselves. Churches should be the hands and feet of Christ in the world and should just go about trying to bless others and give them a better life instead of better churches. It's not our responsibility to always try and have a conversation experience with someone every time we encounter them. We should just leave that up to God, but be ready to do that if the Spirit leads. Anyway this has really opened my eyes to the needs that are around us and what might happen if the church started to try and meet those needs. I believe God would bless those efforts and not only would the community needs be blessed, but in the long run we might even see better churches and people won to Christ. I will probably have more to say about this at some point later. Christianity is exploding in other parts of the world and it is basically because the church in other parts of the world is MISSIONAL but the church here in the US is dying because we are not. I have challenged the members at Springwood Baptist to be more missional, to BE the church and not just DO church and the response have been pretty neat, with most talking about how God blessed them in their attempts to bless other people. Now, if we could just get that to catch on...

No comments:

Post a Comment