About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Saturday, April 24, 2010

Easter Rabbit and Mouse

On Sunday, April 23 1916 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Sunny-Cool. Easter Arose at 8 a.m. Shaved. Took Norman to Mrs. Raines. Went to 1st Baptist Church with Skin, in "Jack Rabbit". Ate dinner at Mrs Raines. Mary Caruied & Mary Carlton came in. Didn't go up home. Papa failed to join me at church. Stayed at home after supper and read "Freckles" Very good book. Retired at 10:00. Chilly weather. On Monday April 24, 1916 Bonnie wrote: Cool-Cloudy. Rained at night. Arose at 7:20 a.m. Got to work at 8:35. Mr. Schick leaves on No. 3. Made up payrolls first time after salary raised to $107.00. Norman fell against door and raised a lump on head. Mr. Schick left. Negotiations being carried on for increase in Mr. Raitt's salary. Mary and I fought a mouse. We fixed up rose bushes. Took a bath. In the Easter Sunday entry, I do not understand the "Jack Rabbit" reference. Also unsure of the spelling of the first Mary's name who was a guest at dinner. Interesting that Bonnie and Mary fought a mouse. I would have liked to have seen that, but also the rose bushes. I bet they were pretty. Do you reckon Bonnie's salary for a year was $107.00? I wrote the other day about "I love a parade" and today I got to see one. The family and I went to Vinton for the Dogwood festival parade. Cool and cloudy here all day today. Supposed to rain tonight. Good parade we had fun, but it seemed short. Lots of house work and laundry today.

No comments:

Post a Comment