About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Sunday, October 21, 2012

Tech loses to Washington and Lee

On Friday, October 15, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Fine Day. Talked to Mrs. Schick on phone. Went to the Shenandoah Club for letter from Wm. Dodd to Mr. Schick. Howard Fisher walked around with me. Corrine Mabry went home. Pay day at shops. At night: shaved, washed my hair, took a bath and caught a mouse.

On Saturday, October 16, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Fine Weather. Went up town in afternoon. Met Papa, He came home with me to supper. I stayed at home tonight. W&L Univ. beat VPI playing football.

On Sunday, October 17, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Pleasant. Shaved. Took Norman to Mrs. Raines. Papa and I went to the Calvary Baptist Church at 3:30 p.m. to hear Dr. Palmer speak. Fine sermon to men only. Mary came up to meet me. Christian Church at night.

On Monday, October 18, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Warm. Ate dinner at Mrs. Raines'. Work slow in office. Mrs. Raines came up home at night. She rolled baby to Northeast. I went down to talk with Mr. Raines at night. Brought candy home.

On Tuesday, October 19, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Rain. Warm. Ate lunch at the office. Went to American. Met Mary, Mrs. Raines and the baby. Mary examined for insurance. Went to station in p.m. Talked Robt. Moses and Lutie Steffey. Papa ate supper with us. I shaved. Mayor C.B. Moomaw died. Wrote letter to Lena. 

On Wednesday, October 20, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Damp, warm. Saw old Ronk on Market Sq. Capt. Rowan and Burke went to fair at Appomattox, Va.  Got a letter from Blaine sending $15.00. Baby fell out of chair. Talked Howard Fisher. Ate dinner at Mrs. Raines. Bought candy at Johnson's. 

On Thursday, October 21, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Sunshine. Letter from Jake and Mamma. Wrote Marj. Merchent. Ate dinner and supper at Mrs. Raines'. Wrote a letter to Mamma. Mrs. Raines went to Troutville in automobile.  Mrs. King came by Mrs. Raines' at night. Mr. Y.W. Young died today.

Okay, so I am behind again.  Here in 2012, I am still very busy at work and church and today was a fine day, so the family hiked up Read Mountain and now I am sore and worn out, so this won't be long. I just found it interesting that Bonnie caught a mouse on a night when he shaved and washed his hair.  Also, Virginia Tech (VPI) must have a football team in 1915 like they do in 2012! AND, how about the mention of Calvary Baptist Church!  There is a long history for that church obviously and today in 2012, I count the current pastor of that church, Donna Hopkins-Britt, as a close friend. I wonder why the special service and sermon for men only?  Mary and Bonnie also were not apparently particular about the church they went to, but they did go to church: Baptist, Presbyterian, Christian, Dunkard, it didn't seem to matter to them! Also, noticed the mention of the Shenandoah Club which is still around today in downtown Roanoke.  I have been there for a meeting of the Sons of the American Revolution. 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment